Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Definition of Strength



I love the word “strength”. It covers so many qualities, and can be used in so many contexts.

Most obvious of course is physical strength which is measured in power, force and endurance. It is not easy to attain and I highly covet my personal strength. I work hard for it, damn it, so of course I’m going to be proud of it!

When you are up at 5:00 am most days of the week, dripping sweat on the floor, beet red with exertion, shaking with every repetition, gasping for every breath and still trying to equal or beat the person next to you, well, then you would be me. BUT if you do something similar (CrossFit…shout out!) then you may truly understand the prize that is physical strength.

But that is not my personal definition of strength.

Strength defines so many other characteristics that it is really difficult to pinpoint a favorite. There is mental strength, emotional strength, spiritual, political, and military strength. Strength can define your fortitude in the face of danger, hardship or turmoil.

It is wonderful to have strength in those attributes, and I hope that I show a modicum of resilience in each of those categories, but still, that is not my definition of strength.

You can have strong words that are mean or meaningful. Strong desires that are impossible to attain or resist. Strength in numbers (as any Red Rover champion knows, numbers are very important!) Strength in character that shows you are honest and fair, moral strength which is guided by your principles.

I believe I carry some strength in each of these things, yet still, I believe there is a better definition of the one syllable word.


Of course strength can also define the health of your hair and nails or the level of ones personal pungence. Those with a strong stomach can ride rollar coasters and eat habanero peppers while those with strong molars are popular at parties with their ever so novel "opening a bottle with their teeth" trick.


Those, of course, are almost an insult to the word.

You see, the true definition of strength is a bit more detailed, more specific. Today, I was faced with a challenge that tested that specifically defined strength and I am happy to say that I rose up and met the challenge face on.

At this point I feel it necessary to put in a disclaimer.

Try not to be jealous of my strength. It’s taken years of training. I’ve faced similar obstacles and failed. People of greater physical prowess have tried with disastrous results. So don’t fret if you would have caved. With the right training, the proper motivation and perhaps a CrossFit wristband glaring you in the face, you too will be able to achieve such superhuman and phenomenal strength.

Strength to me means being forced to order, stare at, and then cut the company mandated birthday cake that is accompanied by one of your favorite things in the whole wide world (ice cream)…and not even licking your fingers.

No applause necessary. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment